Thai Bourse Market Report For October 2014
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) securities trading value in October rose 28.87 percent to THB 50.36 billion (approx. USD 1.53 billion) from a year earlier. The market mood in October was weighed down by profit taking and concerns over global economic volatility. The SET main index ended October at 1,584.16 points, up 22 percent from end-2013, but down 0.10 percent from the previous month. Foreign investors sold Thai shares worth a net THB 16 billion (USD 497 mln) in October, adding their net selling to USD 585 million in the first ten months.
Key highlights for October
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 14.42 trillion (USD 437 billion) at the end of October, up 25.5 percent from end-2013, but down 0.03 percent from a month earlier, while market valuation of Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 368.7 billion (USD 11.17 billion), up 11.9 percent from a month earlier.
- Forward P/E ratio rose year-on-year at 16.28 times, while mai’s decreased slightly to 27.72.
- Dividend yield fell slightly to 2.90 percent, while mai’s was down to 0.85 percent.
- Foreign investors’ trading proportion increased to 18.14 percent from 17.34 percent in the past month, while the proportion of domestic investors fell to 66.83 percent, from 69.19 percent a month earlier.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 32.16 billion (USD 974 million) in October, of which THB 18.48 billion was raised from initial public offerings from four companies on mai and one REIT (real estate investment trust), and THB 13.68 billion from the secondary market. The total fundraising in the past ten months was at THB 206.27 billion, down 6.9 percent from a year earlier.
Derivatives daily trading volume decreased 6.62 percent from a month ago to an average of 184,181 contracts. The decrease was mainly from single stock futures.