The Merits of Kx Systems
Kx Systems supplies many of the world’s major banks, hedge funds, exchanges and other financial institutions with a unique and highly original solution set for ultra-high performance database and time-series analysis.
Financial institutions are facing constant pressure to collect, store and analyse data from numerous sources, such as exchanges, in-house or vendor. Not only are data volumes increasing at near exponential rates but institutions are facing tighter regulation, coupled with a drive for greater transparency. How can transparency and risk management be achieved without knowing the current position, which in turn can only be done with sufficient processing power?
Kx products are designed to meet the requirements for efficiency, transparency and risk management. Its products are used to analyse vast quantities of data in real-time: Kx offers the kdb+ database and q, its proprietary high-level language, which enable institutions to process constantly increasing data volumes. Kx’s products are being continually optimised to take full advantage of the latest technology, such as Intel’s Xeon processor 5500 series, ensuring high performance and reducing latency to a minimum. With a single data format for streaming, real-time and historical data, kdb+ provides an end-to-end database that eliminates latency across multiple data management systems.
Since its inception in 1993 Kx has led the market with new functionality and features. For example, Kx was the first to introduce nanosecond timestamps in 2009, which allow for easy identification of the most recent events, such as trades, enabling much faster and simpler processing and letting users perform more complex operations, creating a competitive advantage.
Some of the benefits offered by Kx are:
• Production applications can be delivered in as little as 24 hours from installation, providing a fast return on investment (ROI).
• Queries against streaming, real-time and historical data, or a combination of any of these. The ability to treat streaming and disk-based data as a single database for analysis ensures high processing speeds and supports a variety of trading, risk management and compliance/regulatory applications.
• Fast data capture and analysis even as data volumes continue to rise, with a scalable path for growth.
• Embedded multi-threading capabilities allow developers to take advantage of parallel processing without changing their code.
• Takes advantage of multi-core architecture in order to handle the necessary volume, volatility and speed of data updates and analysis.
• Compatibility with legacy technologies.
Kx solutions enable trading groups to implement sophisticated trading strategies in real-time, no matter how much the volumes of data increase or fluctuate, with the ability to capture more than one million messages per second. In handling such a large number of updates, Kx also delivers the headroom to go far beyond simply capturing and updating market data. For example, it can simultaneously support many thousands of real-time custom queries, proprietary analyses on data in-memory, update database indices dynamically to speed query execution, and log data to the file system. Once saved to disk, massive amounts of data can be queried at speeds of ten million records or more per second (per core). Saving streaming data allows institutions to test their strategies and mine market data history for the trading intelligence that creates a competitive advantage.