Thai Bourse Market Report For September 2014
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) securities trading value in September rose 26.8 percent to THB 58.92 billion (approx. USD 1.81 billion) from a year earlier. The market sentiment during the third quarter was upbeat, supported by Thailand’s political stability after a new government was formed in early September, while the announcement of economic stimulus policy and investment helped boosting investors’ confidence.
The SET main index ended September at 1,585.67 points, up 22.10 percent from end-2013 and up 1.54 percent from the previous month. Foreign investors continued to buy Thai shares worth a net THB 20.8 billion (USD 657 mln) in September, adding to USD 1.16 billion in the third quarter. However, they sold a net USD 87 million of Thai stocks in the past nine months.
Key highlights for September
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 14.43 trillion (USD 444 billion) at the end of September, up 25.5 percent from end-2013, and up 2.78 percent from a month earlier, while market valuation of Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 329.49 billion (USD 10.14 billion), up 7.90 percent from a year earlier.
- Forward P/E ratio rose year-on-year at 16.15 times, while mai’s decreased slightly to 27.85.
- Dividend yield was at 2.94 percent, down from a year earlier, while mai’s was down 0.96 percent.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 591 million (USD 18 million) in September, of which THB 495 million was raised from initial public offerings from three companies on mai, and THB 96 million from the secondary market. However, the total fundraising in the past nine months was at THB 133.63 billion, down 30 percent from a year earlier.
- Derivatives daily trading volume increased 5.83 percent from a month ago to an average of 197,229 contracts. The decrease was mainly from single stock futures.