Thai Bourse Market Report For August 2014
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) securities trading value in August rose 27.42 percent to THB 50.97 billion (approx. USD 1.59 billion) from a year earlier, resulting from Thailand’s political stability, clearer economic recovery roadmap and restored second-quarter economy, all of which have boosted investors’ confidence.
The SET main index ended August at 1,561.63 points, up 20.24 percent from end-2013. Foreign investors continued to buy Thai shares worth a net USD 83 million in August. However, they sold a net USD 770 million of Thai stocks in the past eight months.
Key highlights for August
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 14.03 trillion (USD 439 billion) at the end of August, up 22 percent from end-2013, and up 3.95 percent from a month earlier, while market valuation of Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 305.36 billion (USD 9.54 billion), up 14 percent from the end of July.
- Forward P/E ratio rose year-on-year to 15.79 times, while mai’s increased to 28.52.
- Dividend yield was at 2.98 percent, down from a year earlier, while mai’s was down at 1.08 percent.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 4.17 billion (USD 130 million) in August, down 43 percent from a month ago, of which THB 1.84 billion was raised from initial public offerings from three companies and one property fund, as well as THB 2.33 billion from the secondary market. In the
first eight months of this year, the Thai firms raised a total THB 93.4 billion.
- Derivatives daily trading volume decreased 4.67 percent from a month ago to an average of 186,361 contracts. The decrease was mainly from single stock futures.