SGX Securities Trading Improves in May Derivatives Activity Grows 40%
Singapore Exchange (SGX) today said derivatives trading grew strongly in May 2010.
Securities trading was healthy month on month despite cautious market conditions. Daily average value for May was $1.8 billion, 4% higher than in April.
Calendar year-to-date daily average value was $1.6 billion.
* The value of exchange traded funds traded rose 14% on year to $954 million.
* Prudential plc listed on SGX Mainboard on 25 May, joining the top 15 companies by market capitalisation with a market value of $28 billion.
Derivatives and Commodities Markets
* Overall derivatives trading volume grew 40% year-on-year to 6 million contracts. Daily average volume grew 34% to 310,809 contracts.
* SICOM volume was six times that of a year earlier at 116,690 contracts.
* AsiaClear continued to enjoy strength as iron ore swaps volume quintupled on ayear ago to 3,996 contracts.
New data in the May monthly statistics report include married trades, distinct clients, securities daily average volume, and funds raised through new bonds. SGX will continue to improve the statistic report in the months ahead to meet the needs of users.