SGX Securities and Derivatives Activities Increase in June
For the last 12 months (July 2012 to June 2013):
• Stock market capitalisation increased 13% to S$954 billion.
• Total bond fund-raising increased 45% to S$196 billion. Of this number, S$4.5 billion was denominated in Chinese renminbi.
• Securities daily average value (SDAV) increased 11% to S$1.5 billion.
• Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) increased 34% to 412,558 contracts.
• Volume of OTC commodities cleared increased 79% to 446,892 contracts and volume of iron ore swaps cleared tripled to a record 370,224 contracts.
For the month of June:
• Securities daily average value (SDAV) increased 59% to S$1.6 billion year-on-year; securities turnover was up 52% to S$32.2 billion year-on-year.
• ETF turnover was 22% higher year-on-year at S$426 million.
• Total bond fund-raising declined 37% year-on-year to S$6.9 billion.
• Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) increased 77% year-on-year to 556,728 contracts, a new monthly record. Derivatives volume increased 64% year-on-year to 10.7 million contracts.
• China A50 futures trading nearly tripled to 1.7 million contracts year-on-year and Nikkei 225 futures volume was up 76% year-on-year at 4.5 million contracts. MSCI Taiwan futures activity increased 19% to 1.6 million contracts from a year earlier.
• Nifty futures trading increased 23% to 1.5 million contracts year-on-year and had a record monthly DDAV of 73,052 contracts. MSCI Indonesia Index Futures reached record volumes and monthly DDAV of 44,436 and 2,339 contracts respectively.
• Total open interest for all our equity index and interest-rate futures, and equity index options doubled to more than 3 million contracts at the end of June from a year earlier.
• Volume of OTC financial derivatives cleared was S$6.2 billion, down 23% year-on-year.
• Volume of OTC commodities cleared more than doubled year-on-year to 46,869 contracts.
• Volume of iron ore swaps cleared more than quadrupled to 40,682 contracts from a year earlier.