SGX Reports Strong Volume Growth in August
Singapore Exchange (SGX) said securities and derivatives trading volumes grew strongly in August from a year ago.
* Turnover increased 31% year on year to $41.4 billion; securities daily average value was $1.97 billion.
* Exchange traded fund turnover more than doubled from a year earlier, increasing by 156% to $1.18 billion.
* Structured warrants volume increased by 189%, more than doubled year-on-year to 5.2 million units.
* Total volume increased 53% year on year to 8.1 million contracts; derivatives daily average volume was 360,282 contracts.
* China A50 futures trading rose 31% from July to 301,133 contracts while MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 49% up from a year earlier to more than 2 million contracts. Nifty futures volume was 80% higher from a year earlier at 1.48 million contracts.
Commodities and Clearing
* Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared rose 29% from a year earlier to 21,884 contracts.
* Volume of Iron Ore Swaps cleared hit a new record high of 8,564 contracts, more than double from a year earlier.
* Clearing of OTC Interest Rate Swaps continued to grow with a notional $22 billion cleared in August bringing the cumulative amount cleared since launch to $164 billion notional.