SGX Market Activities Continue to Grow in February
Singapore Exchange (SGX), the world’s biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures, posted growth
in derivatives volume in February. Activity in the securities and commodity market also grew in February
from January and versus a year earlier.
* Daily average value rose 41% to $1.8 billion in February from January, and was up 4% year-on-year.
* Exchange traded funds turnover declined 17% to $518 million from a year earlier.
* Structured warrants volume more than doubled to 5.1 billion units year-on-year.
* Daily average volume was up 22% at 323,058 contracts compared with January, and was 8% higher year-on-year.
* China A50 futures volume grew 71% to 689,130 contracts from January; Nikkei 225 futures volume rose 39% to 2.4 million contracts; Nifty futures activity was up 13% at 1.3 million contracts and MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 46% up at 1.5 million contracts. Trading of MSCI Singapore Index Futures was up 16% at 350,915 contracts.
Commodities and clearing
* Trading of SICOM rubber futures rose 12% to 21,758 contracts from January, and was up 80% year-on-year as the availability of the rubber futures on the SGX derivatives platform continued to draw more participation.
* Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared was flat at 24,659 contracts from a month earlier and 58% higher year-on-year. Iron ore swaps cleared totaled 11,971 contracts, up 34% month-on-month and almost five times the volume a year earlier.
* OTC interest rate swaps cleared totaled a notional $204 billion since the November 2010 launch; volume of new trades cleared in February 2012 was $5.1 billion, up 12% year-on-year.
* Bond listings more than doubled year-on-year to $16.5 billion, and was up 22% from January.
* The biggest listings were Hutchison Whampoa International’s US$500 million 2017 Guaranteed Notes and US$1 billion 2022 Guaranteed Notes; DBS Bank’s US$1 billion 2017 Notes; Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ’s US$1 billion 2017 Senior Notes; and Reliance Holding USA’s US$1billion 2022 Guaranteed Senior Notes.