SGX January Volumes Grow Strongly
• Securities daily average value (SDAV) was 42% higher year-on-year at $1.8 billion and 55% higher month-on-month.
• Total value traded grew 65% year-on-year and 70% month-on-month to $39.6 billion due to 22 trading days in January 2013 versus 19 in January 2012.
• Exchange traded funds turnover declined 18% year-on-year and 26% month-on-month to $340 million.
• Value of bond listings grew 48% year-on-year and tripled month-on-month to $20 billion. The largest bond listing in January was the S$1.2 billion fixed rate notes issued by Housing & Development Board.
• Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) grew 75% year-on-year and 15% month-on-month to a second straight record one-month high of 463,561 contracts.
• Volume in January 2013 grew 96% year-on-year and 18% month-on-month to 9.36 million contracts as Chinese New Year and Japanese public holidays in January 2012 had an impact on contracts such as the FTSE China A50, MSCI Taiwan and Nikkei 225 Index Futures.
• Open interest reached a new record high of 3.05 million contracts on 29 January.
• Equity index futures volume grew 89% year-on-year and 19% month-on-month to 8.59 million contracts, led by China A50 futures volume that more than quadrupled year-on-year to 1.69 million contracts. The Nikkei 225 Index futures and MSCI Taiwan Index Futures were both up 98% and 60% respectively year-on-year.
• Equity index options volume more than quadrupled year-on-year to 648,740 contracts, driven by growth in the Nikkei 225 Index Options. On a month-on-month basis, it was up 16%.
• Open interest on equity index options more than tripled year-on-year to 1.44 million contracts at the end of January. This was 15% higher month-on-month. Open interest on equity index futures increased 82% year-on-year at the end of January and 16% month-on-month.
• Volume of commodity swaps cleared grew 59% year-on-year and 75% month-on-month to 38,644 contracts. Volume of iron ore swaps cleared quadrupled year-on-year to 33,851 contracts. This was 78% higher month-on-month.
• SICOM rubber futures trading grew 37% year-on-year and 29% month-on-month to 26,425 contracts.
OTC Financial Derivatives Clearing
• OTC interest rate swaps cleared in January was S$6.5 billion, down 40% year-on-year but more than double the volume cleared in December 2012.