Published On: Thu, Jul 3rd, 2014

SGX Derivatives And Commodities Grow In June

Magnus Bocker CEO of SGX

Magnus Bocker CEO of SGX

Singapore Exchange (SGX) reported on 3 July that its derivatives and commodities volume continued to increase in June, with record volumes for SGX rubber futures and iron ore offerings.

For the last 12 months (July 2013 to June 2014) :-

  • Straits Times Index gained 3% to close at 3,255.67.
  • Stock market capitalization increased 6% to S$1.022 trillion.
  • Total bond fund-raising decreased about 6% to S$185 billion. The total number of bond listings grew by 18% to 501.
  • Securities daily average value (SDAV) down 22% to S$1.1 billion
  • Derivatives daily volume (DDAV) up 3% to 425,302 contracts
  • Volume of OTC commodities cleared was up 136% to a record high of 1.84 million contracts and volume of iron ore derivatives hit a record high of 1.35 million contracts, up 240%.

For the month of June :

Securities

  • Total value of securities traded was $20.5 billion, a 37% drop year-on-year and down 12% month-on-month. Securities daily average valued down 40% to $978 million year-on-year and 16% lower month-on-month.
  • Despite the lower activity, securities market turnover for SGX Chinese-listed companies on SGX increased 18% year-on-year to S$1.5 billion and up 35% month-on-month.
  • ETF turnover was down 57% year-on-year at S$2.3 billion and lower 3% month-on-month.
  • Bond listings increased to a total of 45 new bonds, raising about $20.8 billion, which is more than a 200% increase as compared to a year ago and about 23% up month-on-month. The biggest bond listing was PT Pertamina (Persero)’s US$1.5 billion 30-year bond. Foreign issuers account for 76% and foreign currency accounts for 82% of new listings. Outstanding bonds listed on SGX are 1,742, which is 19% higher year-on-year and 2% up month-on-month.


Derivatives

  • Derivatives volume was 8.6 million contracts, down 20% year-on-year but a 6% increase month-on-month. Total open interest as at end of June was approximately 3.2 million contracts, close to the same volume as the year before, but down 9% month-on-month. Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) was down 25% to 419,428 contracts year-on-year, but up 5% month-on-month.
  • Total equity index futures volume was 7.4 million contracts, down 24% year-on-year but a 6% increase month-on-month. Total volume of equity index futures, equity index options and interest-rates futures traded was 7.5 million contracts, down almost 30% year-on-year and 4% lower month-on-month.
  • China A50 futures continued to attract strong support from international market participants with close to 2.3 million contracts traded, a 32% increase year-on-year and up 15% month-on-month. SGX CNX Nifty futures totaled to 1.6 million contracts, which is a 6% increase year-on-year, but down 13% month-on-month.
  • Nikkei 225 futures volume totaled to 2.1 million contracts, a 54% down year-on-year, but up 36% month-on-month.
  • Volume of OTC non-deliverable interest rate swap transactions in MYR and THB cleared was
    USD 4.2 billion, up 26% month-on-month since its launch this year on 7 April.


Commodities

  • Overall commodities (included OTC and Futures) volume hit a record high of 268,840 contracts, which is a 226% increase year-on-year and up 6% month-on-month.
  • Total Asiaclear futures volume was 140,871 contracts, up 26% year-on-year but down 3% month-on-month.
  • Record volume of iron ore swaps, futures, options cleared at a total of 222,448 contracts, up 126% year-on-year, and 4% up month-on-month. Open interest also increased 4 times year-on-year to a record of 192,098 contracts. The proportion of futures continued to increase to 30% of total swaps/futures volumes in June.
  • SGX Rubber futures saw a total of 40,679 contracts traded, a 54% increase year-on-year and a
    22% up month-on-month.

About the Author

-

IRP Journal

IRP Journal

Sponsor

OPINION POLL

Poll results are published in our Weekly Newsletter -->
subscribe
All Rights Reserved WIld Wild Web Limited