SGX Derivatives and Clearing Volumes Grow in February
• Securities daily average value (SDAV) was 2% lower year-on-year at $1.8 billion and flat month-on-month.
• Total value traded was down 16% year-on-year and 20% month-on-month to $31.7 billion due to 18 trading days in February 2013 because of Chinese New Year versus 21 in February 2012.
• Exchange traded funds turnover declined 21% year-on-year and 2.6% month-on-month to $331 million.
• Value of bond listings declined 25% year-on-year and 38% month-on-month to $12 billion. The largest bond listing in February was the US$1 billion 5% notes issued by MCE Finance Limited.
• Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) grew 59% year-on-year and 11% month-on-month to a third straight record one-month high of 512,551 contracts.
• Volume in February 2013 was up 32% year-on-year and down 7% month-on-month to 8.67 million contracts.
• Open interest reached a new record high of 3.14 million contracts on 26 February.
• Equity index futures volume grew 26% year-on-year and declined 10% month-on-month to 7.75 million contracts.
• Equity index options volume more than doubled year-on-year to 816,433 contracts, driven by growth in the Nikkei 225 Index Options. On a month-on-month basis, it was up 26%.
• Open interest on equity index options more than tripled year-on-year to 1.68 million contracts at the end of February. This was 17% higher month-on-month. Open interest on equity index futures increased 33% year-on-year and decreased 7% month-on-month to 1.26 million contracts at the end of February.
• Volume of commodity swaps cleared grew 48% year-on-year and declined 7% month-on-month to 36,127 contracts. Volume of iron ore swaps cleared almost tripled year-on-year to 32,132 contracts. This was 5% lower month-on-month.
• SICOM rubber futures trading grew 12% year-on-year and decreased 8% month-on-month to 24,360 contracts.
OTC Financial Derivatives Clearing
• OTC interest rate swaps cleared in February was S$6.2 billion, up 23% year-on-year. Compared to January, it is down 5% due to a shorter work month