SGX December 2011 Statistics
SGX derivatives, commodities and clearing activities continue to grow in December. Singapore Exchange (SGX) posted year-on-year increases in its derivatives, commodities and clearing activities in December while securities trading declined.
* Turnover fell 41% to $17 billion while securities daily average value traded was 36% lower at $794 million.
* Exchange traded fund turnover declined 18% to $640 million.
* Volume was up 6% at 5.1 million contracts while daily average volume increased 8% to 241,783 contracts.
* China A50 futures trading more than doubled to 342,825 contracts, Nifty futures activity rose 28% to 1.1 million contracts and MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 8% up at 1.2 million contracts.
Commodities and clearing
* Trading of agricultural commodity futures rose 6% to 17,263 contracts as participation in SICOM rubber futures continued to grow.
* Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared was 8% up at 12,369 contracts; clearing of iron ore swaps was over three times that of a year earlier at 7,453 contracts.
* OTC interest rate swaps cleared totaled a notional $186 billion since the November 2010 launch of the service; volume cleared in December was $1.3 billion, down 68%.
* Bond listings totaled $8.3 billion, up 49%. The biggest listings were KDDI Corporation’s 190-billion-yen 2015 convertible bond, Tencent Holdings’ US$600 million 2016 senior note and Hana Bank’s US$500 million 2017 note.