SGX 2011 September Trading Highlights
Singapore Exchange (SGX) said derivatives and commodities activity rose while securities trading fell in
September from a year earlier.
* Turnover fell 21% year on year to $30 billion, in line with global markets, due to economic and fiscal uncertainties. Securities daily average value was $1.4 billion, down 25% from a year earlier.
* However, exchange traded fund turnover more than doubled from a year earlier to $1.1 billion and structured warrants trading more than doubled to $928 million.
* Total volume increased 33% year on year to 7.2 million contracts; derivatives daily average volume was 349,378 contracts.
* Nifty futures volume was 64% higher from a year earlier at 1.5 million contracts. MSCI Singapore futures volume was 53% up at 457,321 contracts while MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 42% up at 1.7 million contracts over the same period. China A50 futures trading was active at 281,680 contracts but was down 6% from August
Commodities and Clearing
* SICOM rubber futures trading rose 62% year on year to 24,512 contracts following the migration of the contracts onto the SGX platform in May.
* Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared rose 51% from a year earlier to 18,601 contracts.
* Volume of Iron Ore Swaps cleared tripled from a year earlier to 7,957 contracts.
* Clearing of OTC Interest Rate Swaps continued to grow with a notional $4.4 billion cleared