SET July 2011 Trading Statistics
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) continued to show an outstanding growth in trading volume of securities and derivatives in July after general election results escalated investors’ confidence in the stability of domestic politics, while concerns over U.S. debt level pushed up foreign buying in the SET to the highest level since the start of this year.
Average daily trading volume of the SET and the Market for Alternative Investment (mai) rose 14.09 percent to THB 34.7 billion (approx. USD 1.15 billion) in July compared with a year earlier, while trading volume of derivatives reached an all-time high, up 17.80 percent from a month ago at 43,816 contracts.
Market capitalization of the SET was at THB 9.27 trillion (USD 308 billion), up 8.91 percent from a previous month and 11.24 percent higher than at the end of 2010. Given the clearer picture of Thailand’s politics, the SET index rose 8.84 percent from end-June, making it best performer in Southeast Asia.
Foreign investors reversed to become net buyers in the first seven months after they snapped up Thai stocks worth THB 37.9 billion in July alone, for the same reason.
Key highlights for July
– Market capitalization was at THB 9,271,121 million (USD 308 billion), up 8.91 percent from June and up 11.24 percent from end-2010, and market valuation of mai was at THB 85,712 million (USD 2.85 billion), up 6.70 percent from the previous month and up 55.48 percent from the end of 2010.
– Average daily trading volume was at THB 34,696.95 million (USD 1.15 billion), up 14.09 percent from a year earlier. In the first seven months, the trading volume increased 37.83 percent from last year to THB 31,343.37 million.
– The forward P/E ratio for the SET was at 12.98 times, up slightly from 12.33 a year ago.
– The dividend yield of the SET was at 3.40 percent at end-July and mai’s dividend yield was at 2.67 percent.
– Foreign investors bought a net THB 37,869.86 million (USD 1.26 billion), the highest level this year, reversing to have a net buy position worth THB 23,066.71 million (USD 767 million) since the start of this year. They accounted for 23.32 percent of the total trading volume in the first seven months, compared with 18.40 percent in 2010.
– The SET index rose 8.84 percent month-on-month at the end of July, making it best performer in the region. Since the start of this year, the index has increased 9.76 percent.
– Average trading through the Internet rose 50.71 percent year-on-year in the first six months to 77,057 accounts per month. Internet trading accounted for 23.8 percent of the total trading volume, up 21.6 percent from a year earlier.
– Average daily trading volume reached an all-time high, reaching 43,816 contracts in July, with volumes of SET 50 Index futures, silver futures, gold futures and interest rate futures all hitting record highs since they started trading.
– In the first seven months, average daily trading volume jumped 75.42 percent from a year earlier to 32,762 contracts.
– Trading in the night session showed good growth since it started operating in June. At the end of July, trading volume of gold and silver futures in the night session accounted for 41.68 percent of the total trading volume of these two futures products.
– Listed companies raised THB 3,059.52 million (USD 102 million) in July, pushing the total volume of fund raising up 43.41 percent in the first seven months from a year earlier to THB 71,936.97 million (USD 2.39 billion).