Electronic Trading in Asia 2009 Review
What a year it was. Volatility spiked, panic gripped and wealth was destroyed. 2009 was a cornerstone year for electronic trading in Asia. We saw new exchanges, an exodus of western vendors opening up offices and a zone that was not so terribly affected by the financial crises. Here are some of the highlights from 2009.
* Tora Compass electronic trading platform for Asia incorporates support for Merrill Lynch’s MLXN Liquidity Pool
* Instinet adds Hong Kong equities to CBX Asia
* Eurex’s opens representative office in Hong Kong.
* Nomura relaunches Lehman algo trading platform in Asia Pacific
* The Indonesia Stock Exchange launches its JATS-NextG trading platform
* Hong Kong Exchange (HKEx) cancels the Closing Auction Session
* Goldman Sachs launches its Sigma-X dark pool equity trading platform in Hong Kong
*AsiaEtrading.com the only website dedicated to electronic trading in Asia is launched
* Hong Kong Automated Trading System (HKATS) saw its hardware upgraded increasing capacity by 50 per cent to about 8,100 orders per second
* Eurex opens representative office in Tokyo
* Bursa Malaysia successfully launches DMA for derivatives market
* Australian Securities and Investments Commission lifts short sale ban
* The Central Clearing and Settlement System (CCASS) began issuing a new intra-day report to its Clearing and Custodian Participants to facilitate monitoring of intra-day settlement activities.
* KOrea’s Securities and Futures Commission lifts short sale ban
* Greenline Financial Technologies appoints Fran Thompson Director of Business Development in Asia
* The India Energy Exchange celebrates 1 year in operation
* The Japan Securities Depository Center (JASDEC) announces that their Pre-Settlement Matching System (PSMS) is now connected to Omgeo’s Central Trade Manager (Omgeo CTM) and OASYS Global
* Eurex opens representative office in Singapore.
* Liquidnet has over 150 clients trading in Asia’s equity markets and has executed USD1.1billion of notional this month
* Sunguard announces that the Energy Division of Marubeni Corporation has become the first SunGard customer in Japan to go live with SunGard’s ASP connectivity services
* Tokyo Commodity Exchange launches a virtual trading environment, called “TOCOM-V Trade”, in which a user can virtually experience trading on the new system.
* Patsystems Selected as technology provider for Indonesia Commodity and Derivatives Exchange
* Stock Exchange of Thailand develops securities trading program on iPhone
* Eagle Investment Systems LL announces the opening of a new operational centre in Singapore.
* TOCOM introduces remote membership
* The MSCI Japan future began trading on Eurex
* Realtime Systems RTS moves into their new regional headquarters in Singapore
* Patsystems announces that it had signed a software license agreement with Korean-based Blashnet
* Shinhan Bank goes live with the Calypso platform for derivatives trading in the front office.
* FTSE Group extends the benefits of the XSP v5 Corporate Actions software to its Asia-Pacific operations in Hong Kong.
* Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX) announces that they have successfully completed the testing of its electronic trading platform, risk management and clearing & settlement systems.
* Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX) Appoints Standard Chartered As Clearing Bank
* Vietnam’s First Commodity Exchange Forms Strategic Alliance with Nextview
* AsiaEtrading.com hosts first seminar on high frequency trading in Singapore with RTS and Equinix
* ICICI Bank Limited, India’s second-largest Bank, has entered into an agreement for providing clearing and settlement services to Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX).
* Taiwan-based financial institution SinoPac Securities (Asia) Limited is using Orc’s Trading and Connect solution to enhance its regional trading capabilities.
* Chi-East to Appoint LCH.Clearnet as Central Clearing Facility
* BlocSec removes minimum order size requirement and enables manual order taking
* CQG announces trading connectivity to the Australian Securities Exchange
* TOCOM to suspend trading of aluminum futures
* CME Group, KRX announce after-hours access to KOSPI 200 futures on CME Globex
* TradeTech Asia 2009 is held in Singapore
* FIA Asia 2009 is held in Singapore
* Chi-X and the SGX announce dark pool joint venture called Chi-East.
* Singapore Exchange and GreTai Securities Market sign co-operation MOU
* Dalian Commodity Exchange has become the world’s largest food oil exchange
* Bombay Stock Exchange launches FASTRADE
* Financial Service Authorty Fines Nomura £1.75 million For inadequate systems and controls
* BNP Paribas Japan has been ordered to suspend all business in its Equities & Commodity Derivatives Division from November 2 to November 16
* Inter-Pacific Securities Sdn Bhd (IPS), a Malaysian brokerage firm, goes live with SunGard’s GL Net to gain direct market access (DMA) to Bursa Malaysia Berhad’s derivatives exchange
* ChiNext is China’s newest stock exchange begins operation
* Trading at the Dalian Commodity Exchange hit new record levels
* Credit Suisse AES launches algorithmic trading in Indonesia
* Bursa Malaysia selects Thomson Reuters for data distribution platform
* SGX and AFACT ramp up algorithmic trading capabilities of professional traders
* Daiwa Securities SMBC set to roll out next generation electronic trading platform in Asia
* Nomura Launches NX MTF, the first investment bank established MTF dark pool
* Industrial and Commercial Bank of China invests in Hong Kong Mercantile Exchange
* BSE Changes trading timings of equity and equity derivatives segments
* Internal disciplinary actions at TOCOM following trading disruption
* Singapore Mercantile Exchange receives In-principle regulatory clearance from MAS
* Taiwan’s First Commercial Bank chooses Algorithmics for integrated risk
* RTS and Fortis Clearing First to Go Live with New SGXAccess API