Bursa Malaysia Introduces Direct Market Access For Equities Market
Bursa Malaysia introduced November 9, 2009 Direct Market Access (DMA) for the equities market which is aimed to enhance trading efficiency and accessibility for market participants. With this, the Exchange will be providing a complete DMA infrastructure for both the equities and derivatives markets. The DMA for derivatives market was successfully launched in April 2008.
Bursa Malaysia Berhad’s Chief Executive Officer, Dato’ Yusli Mohamed Yusoff said, “DMA is a critical component for Bursa Malaysia to remain competitive in the global investment arena. We are committed to investing in the right technologies to promote market accessibility and liquidity, as well as increased trading efficiencies. This will enable us to meet the requirement for growth and alignment with international trading practices.”
“We are confident that similar to our experience with DMA derivatives, DMA equities will attract new segment of trading participation given its increased accessibility and low latency. Market participants will also be able to enjoy greater connectivity and more control of their orders via the DMA infrastructure for equities market,” he added.
The benefits of DMA:
* It is a ‘zero-touch electronic trading’ solution which enables investors to route orders directly to the Exchange for immediate execution.
* It will significantly reduce the time for orders to be sent and matched from the previous average of three (3) seconds per transaction to a fraction of a second.
* It has the ability to support algorithmic and block trading which allows institutional investors greater control through using pre-determined order conditions.
* It provides greater access to international investors as Bursa Malaysia allows ‘Sponsored Access’ for institutional investors.
* It enables market participants to connect their own trading front-end to the Financial Information Exchange (FIX) DMA Gateway.
* It allows market participants to install their own servers in the Exchange’s data center through the co-location hosting service where faster order management can be processed and lower latency when trading.