ASX Group Monthly Activity Report May 2014
Volatility measures for the Australian equity market remained below long-term averages during May:
- Volatility (as measured by the average daily movement in the All Ordinaries Index) was 0.4% in May, down on the previous month (0.5%).
- Expected future volatility (as measured by the S&P/ASX 200 VIX) rose in May to an average of 12.0 (compared to 11.8 in April).
AUSTRALIAN SECURITIES EXCHANGE
Listings and capital raisings
- In May 2014, total capital raised, including scrip-for-scrip, totalled $8.8 billion, up 49% on the previous corresponding period (pcp).
Trading – Cash markets (including equities, interest rates and warrants trades)
- In May 2014, the average daily number of trades was 24% lower than the pcp. The average daily value traded on market of $3.1 billion was 20% lower than the pcp.
Trading – Financial derivatives markets
- In May 2014, the average daily number of derivatives traded on ASX decreased 26% on the pcp with both single stock and index options lower.
- In May 2014, average daily futures and options on futures volume on ASX 24 decreased 16% on the pcp, with both futures and options volumes lower.
ASX CLEARING CORPORATION
- Participant margin balances held on balance sheet averaged $3.6 billion in May 2014 ($4.1 billion pcp), with a month-end balance of $3.9 billion in May 2014 compared to $4.0 billion in May 2013.
ASX SETTLEMENT CORPORATION
- The value of securities held in CHESS was 11% higher than the pcp and the number of dominant settlement messages was 14% lower than the pcp.
- The value of securities held in Austraclear was 11% higher than the pcp.