ASX Group Monthly Activity Report March 2014
Volatility measures for the Australian equity market remained below long-term averages during March:
- Volatility (as measured by the average daily movement in the All Ordinaries Index) was 0.5% in March, consistent with the previous month.
- Expected future volatility (as measured by the S&P/ASX 200 VIX) fell in March to an average of 13.2 (compared to 14.2 in February).
AUSTRALIAN SECURITIES EXCHANGE
Listings and capital raisings
In March 2014, total capital raised, including scrip-for-scrip, totalled $4.3 billion, down 3% on the previous corresponding period (pcp).
Trading – Cash markets (including equities, interest rates and warrants trades)
In March 2014, the average daily number of trades was 2% lower than the pcp. The average daily value traded onmarket of $3.7 billion was 2% lower than the pcp.
Trading – Financial derivatives markets
- In March 2014, the average daily number of derivatives traded on ASX decreased 9% on the pcp with both single stock and index options lower.
- In March 2014, average daily futures and options on futures volume on ASX 24 decreased 8% on the pcp, with both futures and options volumes lower.
ASX CLEARING CORPORATION
Participant margin balances held on balance sheet averaged $3.5 billion in March 2014 ($3.9 billion pcp), with a month-end balance of $3.4 billion in March 2014 compared to $3.6 billion in March 2013.
ASX SETTLEMENT CORPORATION
- The value of securities held in CHESS was 8% higher than the pcp and the number of dominant settlement
messages was 3% higher than the pcp.
- The value of securities held in Austraclear was 9% higher than the pcp.