ASX Group Monthly Activity Report July 2014
The value of ASX-listed stocks, as measured by the All Ordinaries Index, increased 4.5% in July 2014. This performance was below the rise in Hong Kong up 6.8%, and stronger than most other major markets, including Singapore up 3.6%, Japan up 3.0%, Germany down 4.3%, the US down 1.5% and the UK down 0.2%.
Volatility measures for the Australian equity market remained below long-term averages during July:
• Volatility (as measured by the average daily movement in the All Ordinaries Index) was 0.3% in July, down on the previous month (0.5%).
• Expected future volatility (as measured by the S&P/ASX 200 VIX) fell in July to an average of 10.4 (compared to 11.2 in June).
AUSTRALIAN SECURITIES EXCHANGE
Listings and capital raisings
• In July 2014, total capital raised was $6.8 billion, up 182% on the previous corresponding period (pcp).
Trading – Cash markets (including equities, interest rates and warrants trades)
• In July 2014, the average daily number of trades was 16% lower than the pcp. The average daily value traded on-market of $3.1 billion was 2% lower than the pcp.
Trading – Financial derivatives markets
• In July 2014, the average daily number of derivatives traded on ASX decreased 4% on the pcp, with single stock options lower and index options higher.
• In July 2014, average daily futures and options on futures volume on ASX 24 increased 5% on the pcp, with futures volumes higher and options volumes lower.
ASX CLEARING CORPORATION
• Participant margin balances held on balance sheet averaged $3.5 billion in July 2014 ($3.8 billion pcp), with a month-end balance of $3.6 billion in July 2014 compared to $3.7 billion in July 2013.
ASX SETTLEMENT CORPORATION
• The value of securities held in CHESS was 10% higher than the pcp and the number of dominant settlement messages was 1% higher than the pcp.
• The value of securities held in Austraclear was 12% higher than the pcp.