ASX Group Monthly Activity Report January 2011
This is a shortened version of ASX’s normal Monthly Activity Report. Half-year results for the six-month period ended 31.
December 2010 will be released on 17 February 2011.
AUSTRALIAN SECURITIES EXCHANGE
Listings and capital raisings
• In January 2011 there were 13 new listings, compared to 5 in the prior comparable period (pcp).
• Total listed entities at the end of January 2011 were 2,220, up 2% on the 2,180 a year ago.
• Total capital raised in January amounted to $857 million, down 21% on the $1.1 billion raised in the pcp. Secondary capital raised in January 2011 amounted to $782 million, a 50% increase on the pcp. A total of $75 million of initial capital was raised in January 2011.
Trading – Cash markets (including equities, interest rates and warrants trades)
• Total cash market trades for January 2011 were 10.1 million, up 13% on the pcp.
• Average daily trades for January 2011 of 533,022 were also 13% higher than the pcp.
• Total cash market traded value was $85.6 billion in January 2011, down 3% on the pcp, with a daily average value of $4.5 billion, also down 3% on the pcp.
• In January 2011 the average value per trade decreased to $8,454, down 14% on the pcp of $9,855. The percentage of traded value crossed decreased to 23% (27% pcp).
Trading – Financial derivatives markets
• Equity derivatives volume (excluding ASX SPI 200) for January 2011 was 1.4 million contracts, down 5% on the pcp, with a daily average of 74,226 contracts, also down 5% on the pcp.
• Total futures and options on futures contracts volume (excluding equity derivatives and CFDs) for January 2011 was 5.3 million, up 19% on the pcp, with a notional value of $2.49 trillion. Average daily contracts volume during January of 265,249 was also up 19% on the pcp.
• A total of 6,926 ASX CFD trades were transacted in January 2011, comprising a volume of 13.6 million contracts.
The total notional value of all CFD trades for January was $298.6 million, an increase of 20% on the pcp, while the value of CFD open interest at the end of January was $113.2 million, an increase of 12% on the pcp.
Trading – Energy and agricultural derivatives markets
• A total of 21,862 Australian electricity futures and options contracts were traded in January 2011, an increase of 51% on the pcp. Total open interest was 47,784 contracts at the end of January 2011.
• The ASX grain futures and options market traded 26,947 contracts (538,940 tonnes) during January 2011. Record deliveries were processed against January 2011 contracts, with 10,470 lots delivered (209,400 tonnes). Open interest at the end of January of 97,952 futures contracts represents over 1.9 million tonnes.
All on-market trades (equities and derivatives markets) are novated by ASX’s two central counterparty clearing subsidiaries, ASX Clear and ASX Clear (Futures), which act as counterparties to those trades and replace bilateral counterparty exposures.
• Total margins (including additional margins held against stress testing exposures and concentrated large positions) averaged $2.8 billion during January 2011 (including excess cash collateral but excluding equity securities lodged in excess of the margin requirement), with cash margins lodged averaging $2.3 billion.
• There were no intraday calls in January 2011 compared to one intra-day margin call in December 2010 of $0.4m.
There were no material delays to the completion of batch settlement in the equities market during January 2011.
• Total equity settlement delivery fail rates averaged 0.4% per day during January 2011.